This products section will be dedicated to the products that Sjogren’s patients are using; have been prescribed or find most helpful. It is not an endorsement of any specific brand(s) and is intended only, to be a quick reference of various products used for specific symptoms. The products listed will be based on information obtained on Sjogren’s Forums & ListServs about products that members have shared with other Sjogren’s patients. Please do your own research, due diligence and/or discuss with your physician before using any of the mentioned products.
Please note: I try to determine at least one location where you may purchase these products (as I confirm them). You may be able to purchase something at a local pharmacy that I have listed as an online purchase. Or you may be able to find any of the products online that are listed as an over the counter purchase. If you have a suggested product you would like me to add to the list, please let me know what it is & where it can be purchased.
Rx = Prescription required OTC: Over The Counter O: Must/can be purchased online
- Restasis (Rx): Ophthalmic cyclosporine is used to increase tear production in people withdry eye disease. Cyclosporine is in a class of medications called immunomodulators. It works by decreasing swelling in the eye to allow for tear production.
- Systane Ultra (OTC) Most Pharmacies: Preservative-free, high performance dry eye therapy in single use vials.
- Systane Gel Drops (OTC) Most Pharmacies : Creates a stronger gel-like bandage on the eye – for severe dry eye.
4. Similasan Dre Eye Relief (OTC) Most Pharmacies: Homeopathic Eye Drops: Specifically formulated to address symptoms associated with dry eyes such as dryness, redness, sensation of grittiness, reflex watering secondary to dry eyes, and sensitivity to light.
5. Genteal Gel (OTC) Most Pharmacies: Severe Dry Eye Relief Lubricant Eye Gel
6. Genteal Gel Drops (OTC) Most Pharmacies : Moderate to Severe Dry Eye
7 Genteal Eye Gel (OTC) Most Pharmacies: Severe Dry Eye Relief
8. Genteal PM (OTC) Most Pharmacies: Concentrated ointment lubricant – preservative/lanolin-free
9. Lacrisert (Rx): Lacrisert1 (hydroxypropyl cellulose ophthalmic insert) is a sterile, translucent, rod-shaped, water soluble, ophthalmic insert made of hydroxypropyl cellulose, for administration into the inferior cul-de-sac of the eye. For most LACRISERT® users, just one insert placed in each eye in the morning lasts the entire day
10. Azasite (Rx): AzaSite is an eye ointment containing azithromycin, a macrolide antibiotic that fights bacteria. AzaSite is used to treat eye infections caused by bacteria. Some Doctors are prescribing this for Blepharitis.
1. Pretz Spray (OTC): Preservative-free lubricant: Walgreens/Purnell Pharmaceuticals
2. Saline Spray (OTC) Most Pharmacies: Many Brands
3. XClear (OTC) Most Pharmacies: A combination of xylitol and saline nasal spray that has shown to be effective in soothing and moisturizing the sinuses and nasal passages.
- NeilMed NasoGel (OTC) Most Pharmacies: A drug-free saline based water soluble nasal gel formulated with sodium hyaluronate to provide nasal moisture.
5. Salinexand moisturizes nostrils. Spray (OTC) Most Pharmacies: A salt solution spray that rinses
- Breathe-ease XL Moisturizing Solution (O): Breathe-ease is an additive-free moisturizing formula that is used as both a spray & is also used for sinus irrigation. One patient was directed by her ENT to use this solution with a water pik (special attachment).
- Nasonex (Rx): Nasonex is used to treat and prevent nasal symptoms such as congestion, sneezing, and runny nose caused by seasonal or year-round allergies
- Nose Better Natural Mist Moisturizing Spray (OTC): Created specifically for year-round nose care, Nose Better Natural Mist Moisturizing Spray bathes your dry nasal passages with a gentle, soft, moisturizing mist that soothes in seconds. Helps make breathing easier and more comfortable. No alcohol.